Over the last few days, we’ve heard so many dreams from so many pastors. People are sharing those ideas right here and they are amazing.
- Pastor Joe wants to use the $5000 to purchase school supplies for teachers in the schools in our community. They often fund out their own pockets supplies for kids who can’t afford them. We want to help by giving the teachers what they need. We would also use the money to purchase winter jackets for the low income kids in our community. Many go to school with just a wind breaker or summer coat. We want to make sure they are warm and safe from freezing.
- James Hunt from First Baptist Penn Hills wants to use the funds to extend our YouthJob and training program to more young people In our community. There is a 80% unemployment rate among the Youth we serve.
- Pastor Mark says he would send invitation postcards to all unchurched individuals within a 5-mile radius of the church building. We also want to improve our website for when those individuals check us out. We might even have a little invitation contest among our congregation members with a small cash prize to the winner. Get fired up!
We’re reading every single idea and writing a check for $5,000 to fund one of them. If you haven’t already done it, share your idea here. Or go up-vote your favorite ministry ideas.
We wish we could fund every one, but here’s what I know. Every single one of them could be funded. With just a little bit of focus and a little bit of coaching, every single idea on the website could happen.
But even more than that, I believe your entire church budget and your overall ministry can be fully funded. Today, I wanted to give you one thing you can do to move your church in that fully funded direction.
See, goals are what move our dreams closer to reality. That’s why your church needs a few financial goals for the next season of ministry.
Where do you want to go financially?
This may not feel like the most important things happening in your church right now.
But here’s the deal.
Increasing giving and engaging more people in generosity is often the starting point for ministry.
Imagine what would happen in your church if regular giving increased by 20% (not campaigns, building funds, or special stuff). What would that mean for your staff, for your community outreach or for your margins?
Imagine if you were able to reach more first time givers, helping them begin the life-long process of becoming a generous giver.
Imagine funding the children’s ministry or paying off the debt or staring another campus – all from the regular budget.
What does this look like in your church.
Here’s a worksheet to help you think through your financial goals.
It’s a place where you can write down three to five goals that you and your team can work on throughout the year.
This isn’t something for the finance team…it’s something for your entire leadership team to get behind.
These aren’t theoretical or philosophical principles; they are real goals with measurable numbers. They are the kind of thing you can check off. The kind of goals that connect with your ministry plan.
If you’re like me, examples help. So here are some example financial goals to get you thinking in the right direction.
- Increase regular giving by 20%.
- Increase digital giving to 50%
- Take 100 people through Financial Peace University
- Communicate giving expectations to staff, leaders, teachers, deacons and elders.
- Reach 25 new first time givers in the next 12 months
- Give away $100,000.
Can you imagine what would happen if you set 3-5 clear goals like that and then they were accomplished? Wow!
So here’s your homework…
Use this worksheet to write down your three financial goals for the next 12 months. Then take a picture of your goals and send them to us.
We want to see what you’re dreaming about and praying for. And we want to pray for you as well. So be sure to snap a picture and send us your goals.
P.S. Michael and I are teaching a proven five-step fundraising system on a free webinar. Goals are a part of the system, but here’s a lot more. The good news is we’re making it simple for you. Reserve your spot for the training here
5 Financial Documents
Download these five financial documents. You'll get original files to make it easy to customize and use in your church.